Pages

Friday 15 June 2012

Waiting for the sun to stay so we can cut the hay

Pulling more weeds, planting more seeds, moving 100 meat birds out of the house and into their new chicken hover. The day they moved out, I threw in a few five gallon buckets of weeds and they ate all of it in a few hours, a good sign. They are very happy to be out on the grass and so am I.  Noah has to go purchase tools to build the chick hover, it's amazing the amount of stuff that was "in the barn", which has become quite the common phrase these days, I have one of those "in the barn,"oh wait we don't.
In other news we thought our milk cow, Fifi, might be calving earlier this week, but all the signs were not there. For one the ravens always come and wait, they sit along the fence and the shed roofs. They will peck out the eyes and can eat the tongues of young animals. They always arrive a few days before the lambs or calves are born. So I am waiting for them and then we'll know she's going to calve soon.

Fifi makes whale like breathing sounds in the evening

The next day we headed north to Open Bay Farm to do some felting and make some homemade hand creams. We infused some lovely dark bee's wax that Mimi had picked up in Black Creek. We made one with chamomile and calendula and the other with rose petals. They smelled like sweet honey, tea and flowers. As they infused we went out to the work shop to felt. I have been wanting to make wool soaker pads for the baby. I didn't like using the plastic ones (even though they are easy to wash) so I wanted to make a bunch out of felted wool. Mimi showed me how to felt large pieces of washed carded wool. It's really fun and I think Lyra would have liked to join us if it wasn't so cold out that day. Good thing you use lots of warm soapy water to felt. 
Mimi is having way to much fun with her antique lawn roller
felting

 We went back to the house while the felt was set to dry.  There I found Lyra covered in cookie dough and listening to french music videos. Thanks Anna and Ella for letting Lyra join you and being so much cooler than Mimi and myself. The recipe I had brought wasn't working the way we wanted for the hand cream so Anna stepped with the cookie beaters and saved the day. Our cream contains only beeswax, sweet almond oil, water, calendula, chamomile or rose. It's lovely. 
This is a great way to use up petals you saved last year. 
Our calendula, chamomile looks like custard. 
This cream is not tested on animals. We only test on small children and farmers feet.
http://openbayfarm.blogspot.ca/?view=classic


2 comments:

  1. Poor Fifi that's what I feel like every night that I am still pregnant and don't have to be.
    Your cream looks lovely and so creamy.
    I want to see the finished felt. I bet it is very nice. Any knitting requests for baby? Or should I plan on using cotton?
    I figured out how to follow your blog with my blog so I can see your updates right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting from you would be a treat, just make sure you make it small enough so that he/she can't tell me "no wool". Fancy blogging, I have a bunch more questions for Nathan or you, when you have the time.

    ReplyDelete