Pages

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Goodbye June-uary


a happy "Got Timothy" face 
The rains keeps coming and the grass keeps on growing.  It may be wishful thinking but the forecast is looking good for the first week of July. Noah and Etienne have been "fixing" machinery hoping to have the new bailer ready for haying. Few weeks ago Lyra and I joined them to check out all the haying fields, they discussed grass types and would get pretty excited about the good spots and how to improve others. I really do enjoy a good open field and it looks like Lyra does too.
Our meat birds are happily growing and I  have ordered another hundred for a mid October harvest. If you didn't get on the list the first time around send me a message or give me a call.
Fifi is going to calve any day as she is starting to "bag up".  I'm the most excited about having milk again. I got a new home dairy book from the library today for inspiration.
Lyra won't have to mix her milk with whipping cream anymore.
that open field feeling 
Do you never get that feeling when you are driving through Duncan like you could just stop and get a few tons of pasture lime. Etienne does, specially when he's got the truck. One less thing to do when it come time to lime. We meet at the farm last night so Etienne and Noah could talk drainage, organic fertilizers and pasture management. They get so excited I can't really get a word in, I say the random smart remark (or so I think) and photograph around me.


the hand talker
They got walking a little faster than I am right now. Sometimes it's nice to be slow you notice things. 





No comments:

Post a Comment