Pages

Thursday 5 July 2012

July will on fly by

As Etienne and Noah meet in the driveway this sunny morning, I can tell they are excited about cutting hay. The sun is finally out and it's expected to be warm for the next few days. If I was a "real" farm wife I'd have been up for hours making a large breakfast and packing them a good hardy lunch. But I am not, just a seven month pregnant mortal who guards her sleep jealousy. For I only have a few months left of it. I am bringing them a picnic lunch:) I have been to busy lately to blog. The canadian long weekend was very busy. Noah brought home a five foot bush mower on friday. I'm going to spare you the many teenage quality joke adds. You now can hire Noah and Etienne to bush mow. Saturday and Sunday brought more bailer work, emotions flew from a full on happy dance to a mild depression. Massey Ferguson is not in operation right now but I it will be.  Bailing will still happen just at a slower pace. Thank you to Coady for all your help over the weekend. I didn't get a good photo of the three of you, but you really do make the canadian poster together.
     
nothing that ice cream and beer can't remedy

I was able to get the rest of the seed in for our winter garden crops in and our animal fodder. The garden is now full of work and all the lettuces can be replanted. Despite the cool, rainy weather  the garden is growing. We got to eat the first new potatoes and I topped by basil to make pesto last night. The meat birds are growing well and it's amazing how much grass they eat in twelve hours.
I really try hard not to make this a food blog. But this fresh pasta recipe is so good I have to share it. If have time to make pancakes you have time to make fresh pasta. The dough is easier to work with if you make it after lunch, tightly cover the dough and leave it on the counter until dinner time.

1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup durum semolina flour
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Some every exciting news Hillcrest farms was blogged about on my favourite food blog. Check it out http://www.ripplerockcooks.com/
If you want a food blog follow this one.
Late June brought out the roses, honeysuckles and lavendar. Lyra and I harvested lavender yesterday.
Can you smell the lavender?

Monday night was date night for Noah and myself. We headed to Paul's to make our own frames. It was nice to sit and chat, this is something I can see myself doing over many winter evenings. As frame building is a mix of building and crafting my hands where always busy. We talked bees of course and got around 30 frames built which Noah added to our hives the next day. Beeswax is another one of my favourite scents and we went home smelling of beeswax with our minds humming with beeing ideas.
 

2 comments:

  1. How do you find time to blog, you have been busy! What are your plans for your lavender? I have seen lots of lavender tea for sale lately-I have never tried it though, I could cut mine but the bees are loving the flowers right now and so am I :) One of my favorite smells too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just put in up to dry. I'm sure it'll get used. I made an infused oil last year that I really liked.

    ReplyDelete