Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Welcome Home


The hay is in, cue the rain. I didn't get out in the field much other than to drive the truck, but my feet hardly reach the petals anymore. Am I shrinking or growing? I was much to busy holding down the fort and bringing food to the field.  Other than a quick 7 pm drop by to milk, Fifi, Noah was always home long after I went to sleep. Our farm kept me very busy while he was away, working and haying. Everything also takes me about two or three times longer than Noah as I have to carry smaller amounts. But I have to stay nothing died and I actually got food put away and a lot of weeding done.
We cut twelve hundred bales of hay this year on the South End of Quadra Island. It's interesting that almost all the fields where we cut hay have been farms for over a hundred years. From what I heard some days seemed more successful than others using a lot of "vinatge" equiment had it's ups and downs. Meaning things broke. Over the week Noah and Etienne both started to look more like real third world farmers. Tanned/sunburnt, dirty, puffy eyed and I'm guessing they lost about five pounds.  But in the end our second cut received a great complement from Mark saying "this was nicest hay he's ever seen on Quadra" and he drove away with 70 bales.  We also have first and second cut avaible for sale from the barn (thank you to our neighbours for the barn).  Just call us and I'll set up a time for someone to meet you.
Look for our hay at the Quadra Fall Fair this September. Check out the Quadra Fall Fair website for more information
lhttp://www.quadraisland.ca/fall-fair/index.html
talking grass, unless Jerry can get them talking trees 
much deserved ice cream break 
my favourite view of the hay, leaving the field.




6 comments:

  1. Love your photo's Amanda! Just so you know every haying post has a mention of ice cream. Cows, grass and cream, it all fits together very nicely.
    I have never seen so much hay on a pickup ever. Did it all make it home?
    That's great you got so many bales. So does it add up to an hour a bale? haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no I don't think Garnets pickup made it. With all the pre machine time, I'd have to say at least that. But think of all the tractor mechanics they now know.

      Delete
  2. Nikki Sacco-Young18 July 2012 at 00:28

    Awsome so so awsome, What are the costs per bail for first and second cut? I look forward to buying Quadra Island family grown hay! And I'm sure the horses will enjoy eating and being nurtured. Please call Nikki at 3571. Thanks Amanda and Noah and all who helped.
    P.S I'll volunteer now for next year! I love a good sweat lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out if you volunteer they will actually call you:) I'll give you a call in a bit here re hay.

      Delete
  3. couldn't you put just a few more bales on those trucks :)
    Lovely post - thanks Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the trucks leave our field thinking they must be just going next door to the barns, so did they actually drive up the road loaded like this???
    deb

    ReplyDelete