Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

Moments



First day working in the garden with Daddy

Over the last few days as I went about I thought about moments of my life, just little ones. Here they are not in any kind of order. As my life is. 

- It could smell like sweet breast milk on the cracks of my babies dirt covered fingers as he reaches for my mouth while nursing as if he where saying "aren't I the world and everything in it". 

- An unpleasant surprise of finding something soaked in pee an old shirt a cloth diaper that should have made it to the diaper pail and  forgotten, hopefully, outside. Unlucky in the laundry basket four days old. 

-That feeling of scrubbing porridge stuck to the side of the pan. I forgot to soak in the morning as we rushed outside to the sunny day.

- Mixing dirt for starts I'm pouring in cups of soured curd that has sat in glass jars outside beside green house for months it smells like sweet yogurt cheese. I almost want to try eating it as I stir it in with the warm dirt, food for plants.

- Cutting onions starting to charmalize in butter and salt, stir, stir. One arm holding 25lbs of infant  that is my sore arm by the end of the day every day, must remember to change sides. Every so often he lends over to look and me and smile. Food yes, very exciting. 

-Loads and loads of laundry washed and hung on the line to dry, cracking stiff carharts, towels that are starchy. Realizing that the laundry basket is full of toilet paper to refill the shelf.

-Eggs cracking in the bowl, so many eggs and piles of shells that make little leaning towers in little puddles of clear whites that turn to cement if you don't remember to clean them up right away. 

-Mostly joy that fills me right up to the top. 



If you find something while I have the camera it gets a picture. 
If you are a living thing while I have the camera you get a picture. Etc. 

The newest addition to The Farm are three ducks. Who are working hard to de-slug the garden. They are very tame and travel around the yard in a chicken tractor. They give us two eggs a day and are so fun to watch splash about in their bath tub. I take the girls out once a day and let them roam the yard. Chasing them away from the garden if they get to close to my starts.  Three laying hens left to make room for new beaks to feed. We are hoping to grow some of our own feed for our chickens and ducks on our half acre. 

A pile of eggs washed by Lyra. 




4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda your Blog makes me Happy
    I love your photos
    your stories
    I am so glad when I see
    THE FARM
    dance into my IN box
    I know how this is an effort in your busy world
    but it makes a difference to me
    Thank you for your posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, most the time I think it's just my mom reading this blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time i've s stumbled upon your blog and I must say it warms my heart! thank you for every little piece... i have a huge smile on my face.
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete