Pages

Sunday 14 April 2013

unplugged


Learning how to unplug my life.
 We live in an 800 square foot open house (with a loft bedroom), the only other room being the bathroom. Our computer once lived on the book shelf right in the middle of our living area. The center of our home and a constant pull towards it from all who live here. With a, maybe I'll just edit those photos while she's playing on her own, we need to check the weather, how did I make that I"ll just google it, I wonder if she's written me back on facebook yet, change the music, did I tell you about... And just like that most of my days would go by. About four months ago I'd had enough, with Lyra knowing how to use the computer the song would change about once every half moment and movie requests felt constant. It was either get rid of the computer or DO something. I picked it up and moved it to our room. This has worked. Not only was it out of sight out of mind, but since I usally am sleeping with the children, Noah does not say up researching or emailing at night, helping us all get better sleeps, which is so precious.
Maybe another reason I don't get around to blogging very often. I don't turn the computer on until late in the day and during the day I have thought about when I would like to do on it. I have to find time to blog with Noah is home, so the ideas are written up in my head at very interupted intervals.  Something I realized what that if I put my normal day computer time unto play time with my children my life is so much richer.
 Recently I got to listen to these inspired words at our general conference. Rosemary M. Wixom said "

Unfortunately, the distractions of this world prevent many children from hearing encouraging words that could shape their view of themselves.
Dr. Neal Halfon, a physician who directs the UCLA Center for Healthier Children, Families, and Communities, refers to “parental benign neglect.” One example involved an 18-month-old and his parents:
“‘Their son seemed happy, active and engaged, clearly enjoying time and pizza with his parents. … At the end of dinner, Mom got up to run an errand, handing over care to Dad.’
“Dad … started reading phone messages while the toddler struggled to get his attention by throwing bits of pizza crust. Then the dad re-engaged, facing his child and playing with him. Soon, though, he substituted watching a video on his phone with the toddler until his wife returned.
“… [Dr.] Halfon observed a dimming of the child’s internal light, a lessening of the connection between parent and child.”5
The answer to our prayer of how to meet our children’s needs may be to more often technologically disconnect. Precious moments of opportunity to interact and converse with our children dissolve when we are occupied with distractions. Why not choose a time each day to disconnect from technology and reconnect with each other? Simply turn everything off. When you do this, your home may seem quiet at first; you may even feel at a loss as to what to do or say. Then, as you give full attention to your
children, a conversation will begin, and you can enjoy listening to each other.

to read more go to lds.org

I have noticed something very unsettling. The amount that people are on there phones seems extremly exessive. Parents at park with children, parent on the phone, parents at store with chilldren parents on the phone, parents in the car with children looking at phone. As I recently walked by about 20 in a ferry line up there was not one car with people talking every single person had a device and was each in their own world. At my hospital stay was a common sight to see parents come in and sit near there new born baby and instead of holding or even looking at their infant they would be on the device. 
May each of us hold our children close to our hearts even closer than the wireless devices that our always in our pockets. 



No comments:

Post a Comment